Honda Canada Inc. (“Honda”) sells Honda and Acura brand products and services (“Products and Services”) in Canada. Honda is committed to ensuring that personal information collected from its customers is appropriately protected and that their privacy is respected. Honda makes every effort to ensure that customers understand the nature, purpose and consequences of the collection, use or disclosure of their personal information.
- Why does Honda Collect Personal Information?
Honda collects your personal information in order to:
(a) complete your transaction for the purchase, finance or lease of Products and Services;
(b) maintain our records to provide you with warranty or other customer service communications;
(c) advise you of any product recalls, customer campaigns, or customer notices regarding your vehicle;
(d) market products and services to you;
(e) respond to your comments or requests for information; and
(f) administer telematics services;
(g) meet our legal obligations; and
(h) other legitimate business purposes.
Honda will not sell, trade, or rent your information to others.
- What Personal Information Does Honda Collect?
Honda collects information necessary for the purposes stated above that will enable it to identify you, including your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number(s), type of Honda products owned, and purchase and repair history of Products and Services. Honda collects this information directly from you, our affiliates, Dealers, service providers, and onboard vehicle systems.
- How Does Honda Collect Your Personal Information?
Honda collects this information directly from you, our affiliates, Dealers, service providers, and onboard vehicle systems (such as event Data Recorders and telematics systems). Information may be collected at the point of purchase or service, through customer surveys, when you make customer service inquiries, when Honda responds to your requests for information, when you visit Honda web sites, or, in the case of information from an onboard vehicle system, when you use your vehicle.
- How Does Honda Use and Share Your Personal Information?
Honda may share your personal information with its affiliates, such as Honda Finance, dealers or its service providers. Honda may disclose your personal information as required by law, in connection with a government inquiry, law enforcement activities or in litigation or dispute resolution. Honda will only send email, text or other electronic messages to you with your express consent (unless you have directed us not to do so), or with your implied consent if you have requested information, or if you have a service contract or existing product warranty with Honda.
- Honda Safeguards Your Personal Information
Honda will not sell, trade, or rent your information to others.
Honda follows industry standards and takes appropriate security and other measures to preserve the confidentiality of your personal information and to ensure that it is used for the intended purposes. Honda retains your personal information only as long as necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. Honda requires that its service providers with access to your personal information keep this information strictly confidential and they are only permitted to use your personal information for the sole purpose of carrying out services for Honda.
Your personal information may be stored and/or processed or otherwise used by or on behalf of Honda both inside and outside of Canada. If a Honda service provider is located outside Canada, your personal information may be processed and stored in a country that has laws that are different from those in Canada, and where the government (e.g. the United States) may be able to obtain disclosure of your personal information under their local laws.
While Honda encourages its Dealers to fully comply with all applicable privacy legislation, each Dealership is a separate legal entity, independent from Honda, and is responsible for their own compliance with applicable law.
- Online Analytics and Interest Based Advertising
Honda and its third-party service providers (i.e. advertising partners and analytics providers) may use web tracking tools (e.g. cookies, web beacons, pixels and other technologies) to collect information about your online activity over time and across websites. Honda and its analytics providers may use this information to understand how you navigate Honda’s websites and respond to promotional communications. Honda and its advertising partners may use this information to deliver future targeted advertisements to you when you visit non-Honda websites within their networks.
Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies. However, this may prevent you from having access to certain functions and services on Honda websites. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow Honda to know whether you have accessed Honda emails and performed certain functions with them.
You can opt out of Honda and its third party service providers tracking your website activities in order to deliver personalized advertising content to you. To do so, please visit the following web pages:
• Ad Choices: http://youradchoices.ca/understanding-online-advertising
• Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
• Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
Deleting browser cookies can remove your opt-out preferences, so you should use these tools periodically to ensure that your preferences are up-to-date.
We also use Facebook Custom Audiences to ask Facebook to show you interest-based advertisements based on your interactions with us and to measure how you interact with those advertisements. We may do this using web tracking tools or by converting the email address, phone number or other contact information you have provided to us into a unique value that Facebook may compare to a unique value created from information you provided to Facebook. Please visit Facebook for information on how Facebook’s advertising privacy policies. https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/. We may also use similar advertising programs for other social media sites you use. If you would like to opt out, please adjust your Facebook and other social advertising settings, use the opt-out features in the advertisement or contact us using the contact details provided below.
- Questions About Your Personal Information
Honda will make best efforts to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up-to-date. If you are an owner of a Honda or Acura brand product, you may contact Honda toll free at 1-888-946-6329 (from 8:30 - 5:00 EST Monday - Friday) for the purposes of accessing or correcting your personal information or to advise Honda not to use your information for sales or marketing purposes.
Honda Canada Inc.
180 Honda Boulevard
Markham, Ontario L6C 0J9
Attention: Privacy Officer
Toll Free: 1-888-946-6329
Thank you for selecting a Honda vehicle. Your privacy is important to Honda Canada Inc. and its affiliates (“Honda”, “we”, “our” or “us”). We are committed to ensuring that any personal information we collect, maintain, use or disclose is protected appropriately and that your privacy is respected. Your vehicle may be equipped with technology that enables you to access and use a variety of connected, wireless or internet-based functions and services (collectively, “Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services”). Certain of these Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services may also provide Honda or its third party service providers with information about your vehicle and your use of the vehicle.
• Information that the vehicles collect, generate, record, or store in electronic form, which is retrieved from
the vehicles, typically wirelessly, by Honda or on our behalf, and which is linked or reasonably linkable to:
a) the vehicle from which the information was retrieved;
b) the owner(s)/lessee(s) of the vehicle; or
c) a registered user of Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services; or
• Information you provide when subscribing or registering for Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services.
1. The types of Covered Information that Honda may collect;
2. How Honda may use and disclose Covered Information;
3. Security and retention of Covered Information;
4. Choices that vehicle owners/lessees and registered users of Connected Vehicle Technologies
and Services have regarding Covered Information; and
5. How to contact Honda about the collection, maintaining, use, and disclosure of Covered Information.
Honda collects or, depending on choices you may make, can collect Covered Information when you use, subscribe to, or register for, any Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services. The Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services available on certain models include: HondaLink®, incident response and roadside assistance services accessed directly through the vehicle, traffic and weather services, navigation services, vehicle diagnostic tools, vehicle location/locator services, and vehicle geo-fencing services.
To learn whether your Honda vehicle is equipped with Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, and whether the available Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services are active or inactive, visit http://www.hondalink.com/vehicle-data-choices.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When you purchase a vehicle that is equipped with Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, your vehicle may automatically transmit certain vehicle system status data to Honda and, in some cases, to Honda’s third party service providers as a result of your use of the vehicle and with no further action on your part. This data is transmitted to assist in product research and development and future maintenance evaluation. In addition, for certain Honda models, the vehicle may automatically send an electronic signal with your latitude and longitude at a particular point in time to Honda or our third party service provider if the vehicle detects a collision has occurred.
• Purchase or lease a vehicle equipped with Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services;
• Use Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services in a vehicle;
• Agree to a Subscription Services Agreement; or
• Agree to terms and conditions for any Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services that are part of a
mobile or web-based application.
However, if Honda intends to use certain types of Covered Information (specifically, geolocation information, driver biometric information or driver behavior information) for marketing purposes or to provide such information to third parties for their own independent use, we will obtain your separate, express consent, either by affirmative statement or your enablement of certain vehicle functions, before doing so.
1. The Types of Covered Information That Honda May Collect
Personal Information. When you use any Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, either Honda or a third party on our behalf may collect and maintain the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) associated with your vehicle or another identifier that can be connected to your vehicle’s VIN. In addition, when you subscribe to, or register for, any Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, either Honda or a third party on our behalf may collect Covered Information such as your name, address, telephone number(s), e-mail address(es), and password.
Information About Your Vehicle’s Operation. When you use the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, either Honda or a third party on our behalf may collect Covered Information that is collected, recorded, or stored by the vehicle, including the following:
• oil life, odometer mileage, fuel level, miles remaining to empty, dashboard warning lamps, tire pressure,
diagnostic trouble codes (e.g. electronic system generated trouble or failure codes), vehicle maintenance
status and other vehicle status and diagnostic information;
• trip log information, including trip start time and end time, trip start and end location, trip distance, and fuel
• airbag system status, including airbag deployments and the relative change in velocity (delta-v) associated
with the airbag deployment. NOTE: This status report/collision notification does not include an over-the-air
or wireless download of the contents of your vehicle’s SRS ECU.
Information About Your Use of the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services. When you use the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, either Honda or a third party on our behalf may collect Covered Information, including:
• your search content;
• account access information, including information about anyone making a call from the vehicle or
under your account; and
• call history information, including the date, time and duration of call, and any response specialist’s notes
written during a call.
Geolocation and Driver Behavior Information. Certain of the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services may collect geolocation and driver behavior information.
• Geolocation information means the exact location of your vehicle, either at a specific point in time or over a period of time. Under certain circumstances, your vehicle may send an electronic signal with your latitude and longitude at a particular point in time to Honda or our third party service provider. For example, if your vehicle is in a collision or you press the Assist button in your vehicle, Honda or our third party service provider may record and transmit your geolocation information, along with other Covered Information, to third party incident responders and roadside assistance providers. Other times, but only with your request and if specific conditions have been met, Honda or our third party service providers may record and transmit your vehicle’s geolocation to assist law enforcement in locating stolen or missing vehicles. In the event you breach any of the terms of the agreements governing the leasing or financing of your vehicle, to the extent permitted under the agreement, your geolocation information may be used to locate your vehicle for the purpose of communicating with you and/or recovering your vehicle. In addition, your geolocation information may be used to provide you with services that rely on or relate to your vehicle’s location, but only if you have registered for, or specifically requested, such services.
• Driver behavior information collected by our Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services includes vehicle speed, vehicle acceleration and deceleration, engine speed, direction of travel, time of travel, and steering angle, but does not include information that is used only for safety, diagnostics, warranty, maintenance or compliance purposes.
Note on Recording and Monitoring
You agree and understand that we may record or monitor any of the information identified above when generated by the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services. For quality assurance purposes, Honda or our third party service providers may monitor and record conversations between our and their respective service centers and your vehicle’s occupants, as well as any conversations between our and their service centers and you or others contacting the service centers to discuss your account outside of the vehicle. However, absent your contacting Honda or our third party service providers from your vehicle, neither Honda nor its third party service providers have any ability to monitor, record or otherwise access any audio or video feed from your vehicle.
2. How Honda May Maintain, Use, and Disclose the Covered Information.
• to provide the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services;
• to communicate with you;
• to evaluate and improve vehicle quality and the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services;
• to help you to maintain your vehicle;
• to administer Honda’s business and operations;
• to provide superior service;
• to offer opportunities that Honda thinks would be of benefit to vehicle owners;
• to perform market research;
• to develop future services and/or products;
• to prevent fraud or misuse;
• to comply with legal requirements (e.g., to respond to a subpoena);
• to engage in dispute resolution;
• to facilitate the provision of software updates;
• to provide product support;
• to help protect the safety of you or others;
• to protect Honda’s rights or property;
• to enable other related uses Honda may develop;
• in the event of a change of control or bankruptcy proceeding;
• for any other purpose for which Honda obtains your consent; and
• as permitted by law.
Honda also may aggregate Covered Information so that it does not identify any individual or vehicle. We may use and disclose such aggregate information for any lawful purpose without restriction.
3. Security and Retention of Covered Information
Honda follows industry standards and takes appropriate security and other measures to safeguard Covered Information from loss, misuse, or alteration. Honda retains Covered Information only as long as necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required by law. Honda requires its third party service providers with access to Covered Information to protect and to keep this information confidential and they are only permitted to use Covered Information for the sole purpose of carrying out services for Honda.
Because certain communications and information collected from your vehicle are provided through wireless and satellite networks, we cannot promise or guarantee that the communications will not be intercepted by others. You understand and agree that your use of the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services is at your own risk and Honda will not be liable for any damages for any loss of privacy occurring in communication over such networks.
Covered Information may be stored and/or processed or otherwise used by or on behalf of Honda both inside and outside of Canada. If a third party service provider is located outside of Canada, Covered Information may be processed and stored in a country that has laws that are different from those of Canada, and where that government may be able to obtain disclosure of your Covered Information under its local laws.
4. Choices Vehicle Owners/Lessees and Registered Users of Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services Have Regarding Covered Information
You have certain choices about the Covered Information that we collect, maintain, use and disclose.
? You may opt-out of sending via an embedded telecommunications unit (if installed) your vehicle’s
location to Honda or our third party service provider in the event a possible collision is detected.
? You may opt-in or opt-out of using your connected Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® phone to attempt
to contact third party responders in the event of a collision or other incident.
? You may opt-in or opt-out of collecting and sending your vehicle’s diagnostic, location, and trip
log information to Honda.
? You may choose not to register or subscribe for certain Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services,
such as HondaLink, or may choose not to use certain technologies or services, such as a navigation
system provided in your vehicle.
? You may choose not to receive marketing communications from Honda. You can contact Honda Canada Inc.
at 180 Honda Boulevard, Markham, Ontario, L6C 0H9 or by telephone at 1-888-946-6329 if you do not wish
to receive marketing communications, or to update or correct your personal information. If we have
obtained your consent to send you commercial electronic messages including news, advertisements
and other promotional information, you can unsubscribe or withdraw your consent at any time using the
unsubscribe method provided in the communication or by contacting Honda at the address and telephone
numbers provided above. Please note that, even if you choose not to receive marketing communications
from Honda, you may still receive communications regarding recalls and service campaigns, the status of
any of the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, your account, and any other service-related
issues and updates that we are allowed or required by applicable law to provide you.
• Review and Update. You may review and update your personal information at any time by contacting us.
? IMPORTANT: It is your obligation to correct or update the information provided when you register for, or
subscribe to, Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, or buy or lease a vehicle when that information
changes. If you do not notify us of a sale or transfer of your vehicle, we may continue to send reports or
other information about the vehicle or the account to the address currently on file with us and/or to the new
owner. In such case, we are not responsible for any damages you may suffer.
• Deactivation. When you buy a vehicle equipped with Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, data
collection may be active. You may deactivate certain of the Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services
at any time by contacting us and following the directions provided to you, in which event we will no longer
collect the Covered Information related to the deactivated Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services.
Please note that, even if you choose to deactivate, some limited vehicle data may still be collected to
improve vehicle quality and to deliver any services related to the vehicle.
5. How to Contact Honda about the collection, maintaining, use, and disclosure of Covered Information
If you would like to update your personal information, opt-in or opt-out from particular features, or deactivate your Connected Vehicle Technologies and Services, please call Honda at 1-888-946-6329.
Honda Canada Inc.
180 Honda Boulevard
Markham, Ontario L6C 0H9
Attention: Privacy Officer
Toll Free: 1-888-946-6329 (Honda)
HondaLink Subscription Services Subscriber Agreement
To view the complete Terms and Conditions, please click here.